Balfour - Hush Heath Estate, Liberty's Bacchus 2018

-
+
£20.00

White

12 In Stock

PRODUCER

Balfour - Hush Heath Estate, situated in Kent, dates back to 1503. At the heart of the property is a Tudor manor surrounded by 162 hectares of perfectly manicured oak forests, vineyards, and apple orchards. Forward-thinking Richard Balfour-Lynn first planted vineyards on the property in 2002, with the aim of making England's finest sparkling rosé. Today, the 25 hectares of vineyards and eight hectares of apple trees are meticulously and sustainably managed by a family of viticulturists. The wines and cider, some named after Richard’s family, are made from estate grown fruit by winemakers Owen Elias and Victoria Ash. Owen is a four-time UK Vineyards Association 'Winemaker of the Year' winner and has nearly 20 years of experience making English wines.

VINEYARDS

All vineyards are located on Hush Heath's 400-acre estate in the heart of Kent. Wealden clay soils overlay Tunbridge Wells sand. Vines are trellised using the double Guyot method with Vertical Shoot Positioning. Planting density is 3,300 vines per hectare and the whole estate is managed sustainably. All the fruit for the Bacchus has been sourced from Hush Heath's Foxwood vineyard. The Foxwood vineyard is situated at the highest point of the estate and is south facing. The vines are still young (only 5 years old), but they have seriously impressed with the purity of flavour the fruit is producing.

VINTAGE

2018 was a perfect year for English wine. The intense cold brought on by the “Beast from the East” was actually beneficial as it delayed the growing season so early frost damage was completely avoided. This coupled with the unusually warm and sunny conditions throughout the summer enabled the grapes to fully ripen without the need to rush the harvest.

VINIFICATION

All the grapes were hand harvested and whole-bunch pressed before 85% of the fruit underwent a cool fermentation in stainlesssteel tanks using a variety of selected yeasts. The remaining 15% was barrel fermented with wild yeats which added weight and complexity to the wine.

TASTING NOTES

The Liberty's Bacchus is pale gold in colour with a subtle green hue. An intense grassy nose is complemented by rose petal aromas and a burst of fresh citrus. The palate is dry with zesty acidity and intense fresh green apples and tangerine peel notes on the long clean finish.
 Grape Varieties 

100% Bacchus

Winemaker  Victoria Ash
Closure Screwcap
ABV  11.5%
Residual Sugar 1g/L
Acidity  7g/L
Wine pH  3.2
Bottle Sizes 75cl
Notes  Sustainable, Vegan, Vegetarian